Wallkill Valley Rail Trail, Trestle. Rosendale, NY
Practicing physical distancing is vital for everyone during the pandemic.
If a parking lot or trailhead seems busy, consider it a great time to explore other sections of the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail. There are 22 miles of linear park to be explored and not all of it is congested.
We asking you to follow the NYS Parks Guidance when using the open spaces we protect:
- Stay home if you are sick, or showing or feeling any COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, coughing, and/or troubled breathing;
- Practice social distancing by keeping at least six (6) feet of distance between yourself and others, even when outdoors;
- Avoid close contact, such as shaking hands, hugging, or high-fives;
- Wash hands often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol when soap and water are not available; and
- Avoid unnecessary contact with surfaces that are often touched, such as doorknobs and handrails.
Department of Environmental Conservation and State Parks also encourage visitors to State Parks, State Lands, and other parks to:
- Stay local and keep visits short;
- Visit in small groups limited to immediate household members;
- Maintain distance from others while in places where people tend to congregate, such as parking lots, trailheads, and scenic overlooks;
- Avoid games and activities that require close contact, such as basketball, football, or soccer;
- Avoid playground equipment like slides and swings and other frequently touched surfaces;
- Do not share equipment, such as bicycles, helmets, balls, or Frisbees;
- If you arrive at a park and crowds are forming, choose a different park, a different trail, or return another time/day to visit; and
- If parking lots are full, please do not park along roadsides or other undesignated areas. To protect your safety and that of others, please choose a different area to visit, or return another time or day when parking is available.
If you are sick or have had contact with someone who is sick in the last 14 days:
- Stay home; and
- Spend time in the backyard or other personal outdoor space. Do not visit public outdoor spaces.
We all must change our activities to not only protect ourselves but others. Use the outdoors wisely.
Thank you for understanding, and helping us all inform others with kindness.